Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Social media is not a game

When I first started gaining recognition on Instagram I started looking at it from a business perspective. I even took my closest friends off of my page and basically told them to follow at their own risk because I was ready to play the social media game to win. I didn't want them to start to believe for a second my life was candy and unicorns so it wouldn't affect our relationship. I had planned to play the superficial rainbows and lollypops way because that's what most people respond to. It's very easy to do... all you have to do is do what most everyone else is doing. Dress trendy, use current celebrity quotes, act like everyday is the best day ever and pretend to be interested in everything everyone else is intrested in. 😑🤭😖 Yea that didn't last 5 minutes!🤣 I should have known better because everything I'm made out of goes against that act. I'm a scorpio with bi polar disorder for goodness sakes! That's like dressing Eeyore up for a never ending rave. I can only lie well when I believe the lie or really want to believe it to avoid a painful truth. I can't knowing pretend anything especially happy or interested when I'm not.
I do love fashion but only fashion between 1920 to 1960s and bohemian flowy feminine wear. I am also obsessed with costuming and fantasy designs. I hated the 90s when it was the 90s and I hate this new reproduction of it in 2020 even more. I listen to mostly old music like the BeeGees, Elton John, Jason Mraz, old school R and B and 20s jazz. The only new music I'm really instrested in is vulgar dirty gritty gangster rap. The rawer the better.🤗 I love Megan thee Stallion! She's from Houston and a Texan and acts like she kills men on the side for fun while wearing stripper wear. I can't do what she's does but I dig it!  It sounds kind of odd that I walk around dressed all primp and proper like a lady in the 50s listening to gangster rap but that's just my reality. When I really want to be comfortable I dress like a new age hippy witch. What you see is what it is and what you gonna get. I don't worry about it making sense to people. As much as I love fashion I don't love it enough to talk about it everyday or advertise every company that approaches me when I don't love what they want me to sale. I have alot of clothing, jewelry, wigs and stuff..... it's all just stuff yall. On days when I'm struggling to get through the day and I'm all dolled up somehow all the stuff makes me feel sadder somehow. Fashion is fun, trends and pop culture is something to talk about to distract us from monotonous days. At the end of the day they are all things outside ourselves that we won't really enjoy if we're not happy inside. I just require more and I know there are lots of people out there that require it too. My whole life I have always been driven by my pursuit of knowledge and finding the meaning of my existence. I guess you can say I'm a true saposexual. I need someone to teach me something I don't already know or say something so wise and true that challenges my believes enough to have me flip my mind over to redisect myself again. It's why I have always been attracted to older men and my crushes have always been professor types. I get bored easily when there is no meaning behind words and the older I get the less entertained I am by what my options are out here.
I have to be true to myself and nurture my true talents and abilities . I've always been good at helping people through the hard stuff even when I didn't know how to help myself. In the past before I learned to value myself I used my talent to try and get people to value me because I wanted to feel needed and wanted by anyone that would. I don't need or even want everyone to like me now, it's too stressful to even consider attempting to please everyone. The more popular I become the more uncomfortable being a social media influencer becomes for me but I'm coping with it. I won't quit this because it holds me accountable for keeping myself in check and emotionally healthy. There are days I need the pressure to stay motivated and positive to practice what I preach. I'm extremely grateful to my true fans and I want you guys to know that you have helped me see that I am capable of great things when I doubted that I was good at anything at all.
I get asked all the time how to become a social media influencer. Along with the dick picks and guys asking for my what's app number (I don't have a what's app) the other half of my messages is people wanting to be a social media star. I promise you guys that it is not as glamorous as it seems. It starts off fun and then after a year it becomes so monotonous and heavy. It's difficult to have to refresh yourself every week. Lots of people are refreshing and repurposing themselves by the day! Brand companies are seriously out to get you to do the most for the absolute least, and everyone that doesn't understand that what you do is more than taking photos and looking pretty doesn't even take what you do seriously. Trust me it's far more serious than I ever imagined it was and to be honest if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't because I wasn't ready for the responsibility of how much of my time and my life it requires. I've finally reached the threshold where I narrowed it down to a level that doesn't overwhelm me mentally. What I appreciate the most about social media is how it grew me as a person. I didn't know what I was doing at first and I was just winging it and having fun and then it became a job. The pressure was constantly pushing me to confront myself about what I wanted. All I can really do comfortably that I won't get bored with is help people and be honest about who I am so that is what I do. For those of you that really want to do this this is my advice to you.
1. come as you are.
You are going to attract both positive and negative attention no matter what you are doing but if you are being true to yourself it's easier to deal with. People have millions of examples of what fake looks like. They will see right through your bullshit if you pretend to be someone you're not. What's worst is pretending to be someone else at any time for any reason even actors will tell you that it can be damaging to your authentic self over time and cause depression. No amount of money or recognition is worth being miserable for.

2. Do what you are good at and passionate about even if it's not common.... especially if it's not common.
A few good people who are faithful to your cause is better than thousands who just follow you so you will follow them. An influencer is about your faithful audience not your pretend audience. The more real you are to your unique talents the more people you find that truly value you because you are like minded with them. Finding your tribe is in my opinion the best thing about social media. It feels good to know you are not alone and there are people that understand you.

3. If you don't love and enjoy what you are doing enough to do it only for yourself then I dont think this is for you at all. The numbers are up and down. People will come and go and you must remain unfazed and loving what you are doing anyway. You cannot get too emotional attached to followers to the point you are negatively affected if they go. You may form connections you really want to keep forever and they can decide to stop following you if you eat meat and they go vegan. Most people are committed to what they like reflected about themselves. The moment they see something they dont want to see that doesn't fit their vision of what they have decided to believe you are they are gone and you have to be okay with that.

4. Do not respond to negative attention!
You better have a thick skin because people will come at you with ridiculousness. It's a waste of energy to be fighting people everyday that you don't even know that are trying to get you to participate in nonsense. I've gotten so used to this it's taught me grace and patience so well I don't even fight with people I do know anymore. Use your energy towards your goals .If you get a troll in social media world that's a signal that you are doing something right. A troll is really a super fan that is so thirsty for your attention that they are dedicated to make time for stalking you everyday. You must learn to be greatful for them it's a milestone and a reality that just comes with the job.

5. Do not allow money and fame to shape you against who you actually are, what you stand for and have been telling your audience about you. If you are body positive and you start selling diet pills be prepared to fall hard. Fame is like the Aztec Gods... it will lift you up and shower you in riches and then cut out your heart for sacrifice and throw your body over a cliff. Social media seems like a game but a bad move can ruin your real life. Even those pretending to be someone they aren't are still real people behind the mask and real people find away to affect each other.

6. Social media is not just for fun it's a billion dollar business. If you really want to be an influencer invest in business classes and educating yourself so you can be prepared to defend yourself against those out to just use you. Brands will throw free clothing at you while they pay others that know the business and get what they deserve.